Bringing together new essays by philosophers and activists, In Defense of Animals: The Second Wave highlights the new challenges facing the animal rights movement. Written by an Australian philosophy professor in the 1970s, and revised in the early 1990s, Animal Liberation is the founding book of the modern animal rights movement. First published in 1975, this groundbreaking book helped launch the modern animal rights movement. Animal Liberation Peter Singer. From his home in Australia, Peter discusses the basis for speciesism and noted in his famed book Animal Liberation, his pet X-lab rats and how … In 'Animal Liberation' Peter Singer makes a strong moral case against speciesism, "a prejudice or attitude of bias in favor of the interests of members of one's own species and against those of members of other species". Animal rights and human obligations. The main characters of this philosophy, non fiction story are , . Please try your request again later. : Essays on Parfit on Objectivity, Should the Baby Live? to be the founding philosophical statement of its ideas. In 1975, with the publication of Peter Singer's Animal Liberation, the cause of animal advocacy took a dramatic turn, as the book, in conjunction with forces already at work, served to radically change the entire arena of moral concern for animals. This book is so inspiring! ↩ 19. This is a MUST read for anyone who loves and respects all living creatures. 1 Animal Liberation Peter Singer I We are familiar with Black Liberation, Cay Liberation, and a variety of other movements. Peter Singer – A Case For Animal Rights. An important and persuasive appeal to conscience, fairness, decency, and justice, it is essential reading for the supporter and the skeptic alike. Reviewed in the United States on January 27, 2016. Many times I'll check a book out of the library first, to decide if it's worth buying. * Note: these are all the books on Goodreads for this author. Singer’s Jewish parents immigrated to Australia from Vienna in 1938 to escape Nazi persecution following the Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 22, 2015. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. This book practically started the animal rights movement. Animal Liberation: A New Ethics for Our Treatment of Animals is a book by renowned Australian philosopher Peter Singer.Published in 1975 and re-released most recently in 2009, with an additional preface by the author, the book is widely recognized as a foundational text within the animal liberation movement. . The first edition of the novel was published in 1975, and was written by Peter Singer. Ethics in the Real World: 82 Brief Essays on Things That Matter, The Most Good You Can Do: How Effective Altruism Is Changing Ideas About Living Ethically, Voices for Animal Liberation: Inspirational Accounts by Animal Rights Activists, Animalkind: Remarkable Discoveries about Animals and Revolutionary New Ways to Show Them Compassion, 10th Anniversary Edition The Life You Can Save: How To Do Your Part To End World Poverty, “Singer’s documentation is unrhetorical and unemotional, his arguments tight and formidable, for he bases his case on neither personal nor religious nor highly abstract philosophical principles, but on moral positions most of us already accept.” (. This book is just as relevant today as when it was first written, and reading it confirms ands supports my personal decision to become a vegetarian/vegan. Download for offline reading, highlight, bookmark or take notes while you read Animal Liberation. Henry Spira became an animal rights activist at the age of 45 in 1973, before there was an animal rights movement. Reviewed in the United States on October 18, 2016. It is for this exact reason that this book needs to be read. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. However, it should come with a trigger warning. Animals Should Be Granted Rights in Respect to Their Nature. Immensely influential and powerful, Animal Liberation is also highly unusual. When a friend gave me a copy of Animal Liberation in 1980, it was an epiphany. I had been working in animal protection for 10 years in Washington, D.C., as a deputy sheriff, cruelty investigator, and head of the animal-disease-control division of the D.C. Commission on Public Health. I shall update further when I've finished the book. 18 The State of the Animals 2001 , edited by Deborah Salem and Andrew Rowan (Humane Society Press, 2001). Singer, a philosopher, writes clearly and effectively. The groundbreaking and “important” book about animal rights by the author of Ethics in the Real World—including a new preface (Chicago Tribune). Check out Speciesism the movie too! Animal liberation User Review - Not Available - Book Verdict "The modern animal rights movement may be dated to the 1975 publication of Animal Liberation by Australian philosopher Peter Singer,'' declared Newsweek of the first ↩ 20 sells millions of … Peter Singer's other books include Writings on an Ethical Life, Practical Ethics, and The Life You Can Save, among many others. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. All Animals Are Equal Peter Singer, a utilitarian, believes in the minimization of happiness of humans and extends this thought to the nonhuman inhabitants of Earth. ↩ 18. Please try again. He isn't strident. In doing so, he is not making the claim that these animals are equal in their capacities, such as reasoning, appearance, ability, or … Why do we have the right to chose the fate of animals who have just as much of a right to live as we do? Peter Singer is Ira W. DeCamp Professor of Bioethics, University Center for Human Values, Princeton University. Peter Singer, whose book Animal Liberation galvanized the animal rights movement in 1975, is unique among contemporary philosophers for the direct, immediate, and powerful influence his ideas have had on the world around him. Animal Liberation, written by the moral philosopher Peter Singer of Princeton University, was first published in 1975, and it has been a classic of the animal rights field ever since. What we do to animals is appaling and unnecessary. Everyone makes choices on an everyday basis that affect the life and welfare of non-human animals in the most fundamental ways, and thus everyone should engage with the ethical arguments revolving around our treatment of them. Animal Liberation or Animal Rights? The book was published in multiple languages including English, consists of 324 pages and is available in Paperback format. I . No wonder Peter Singer has been called the "father of animal rights." I know this book was written in 1975, but revised in 1995. I rarely get time to finish the library book before I've exceeded the allowed renewals. Peter Albert David Singer AC (born 6 July 1946) is an Australian moral philosopher.He is the Ira W. DeCamp Professor of Bioethics at Princeton University, and a Laureate Professor at the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics at the University of Melbourne.. What are some of Peter Singer's views?, Who has claimed that animals have rights?, What do critics of the deep ecological and animal value views claim?, What religious issues are involved in environmental thought, pro and con?, How is environmental ethics a secular matter?, How is environmentalism related to feminism?, How is environmentalism related to racial and international studies? First published in 1975, Animal Now, forty years later, Peter Singer’s landmark work still looms large as a foundational and canonical text of animal advocacy. "It galvanised a generation into action. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders. Read this book using Google Play Books app on your PC, android, iOS devices. Peter Singer - "All Animals are Equal" (in James E. White text) Thesis: Once we properly understand the idea of moral equality, there is no reason to deny that sentient animals have interests that are equal to human interests. Looking forward to finishing the book. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Long after I finished reading the book, Peter Singer’s words kept echoing through my mind. The book focuses on a logical and moral argument, but without shoving it down your throat. Wish I would have known about a long time ago! Peter Singer, Australian ethical and political philosopher best known for his work in bioethics and his role as one of the intellectual founders of the modern animal rights movement. On two occasions Singer served as chair of the philosophy department at Monash University, where he founded its Centre for Human Bioethics. I grew up in the late 60s and to mid 70s, and even then 'retard' was considered highly offensive. Animal Liberation Summary and Study Guide Thanks for exploring this SuperSummary Study Guide of “Animal Liberation” by Peter Singer. A landmark book addressing the question of how we should treat the animals we share our world with, introduced by Yuval Noah Harari. Since the first publication of his book Animal Liberation in 1975, Singer has been a key thinker and leader in the animal protection movement. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. If you want a well reasoned ethical proposal, read this book! I recommend it to anyone who is weighing that choice. Although I primarily changed my dietary habits for environmental reasons, I wanted to read this book to understand the animal rights position on veganism. That's not to say its for those interested in animal rights, rather for those who are intertested This is The Bible for anyone who loves and respects animals, Reviewed in the United States on August 25, 2018. Peter Singer, Professor of Bioethics at Princeton University and Laureate Professor at the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics at the University of Melbourne, is considered to be one of the world’s most influential philosophers. He draws a convincing analogy between the discrimination of non-human animals through speciesism, and the discrimination of women through sexism, or the discrimination of people based on their ethnicity through racism. In chapter one of Animal Liberation, Peter Singer starts off by asserting that all animals are equal; this includes human animals such as man and woman, as well as nonhuman animals such as beasts. Buy Animal Liberation 2nd by Singer, Peter (ISBN: 9780712674447) from Amazon's Book Store. Singer exposes the truth behind industries that abuse animals, offers a philosophical argument against “speciesism,” and provides concrete humane solutions. Several key figures in the animal movement have said that my book Animal Liberation, first published in 1975, led them to get involved in the struggle to reduce the vast amount of suffering we inflict on animals. Yet he understands that for some people becoming completely vegetarian may prove too daunting, so he says to do as much as you can. See Peter Singer, Ethics into Action: Henry Spira and the Animal Rights Movement (Rowman and Littlefield, 1998). Now I know why. The book on animal liberation. : Ethics in an Age of Self-Interest, The Expanding Circle: Ethics and Sociobiology, A Darwinian Left: Politics, Evolution and Cooperation, Rethinking Life and Death: The Collapse of Our Traditional Ethics, Ethics Into Action: Henry Spira and the Animal Rights Movement, One World Now: The Ethics of Globalization, Pushing Time Away: My Grandfather and the Tragedy of Jewish Vienna, The Grandest Challenge: Taking Life-Saving Science from Lab to Village, Does Anything Really Matter? He is known in particular for his book, Animal Liberation (1975), a canonical text in animal rights/liberation theory. edition (February 24, 2009), I recommend it to anyone who is weighing that choice, Reviewed in the United States on November 29, 2015. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Mark Rowlands - 2009 - Palgrave-Macmillan. I went veggie 15 years ago when I first read this book for philosophy a level and it reads just as well today. His book, first published in the 70s and now updated remains as relevant today as it once was. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Peter Singer (Goodreads Author) (shelved 135 times as animal-rights ) avg rating 4.27 — 7,529 ratings — published 1977 There are far more differences between a great ape and an oyster, for … As such When we talk of animal rights activists, one name which deserves a special mention is that of Henry Spira, the founder of the Animal Rights International and one of the most effective animal rights advocates of the 20th century. Please try again. Animal Liberation by Peter Singer. The central argument of the book is an expansion of the utilitarian concept that "the greatest good of the greatest number" is the only measure of good or ethical behaviour, and Singer believes that there is no reason not to apply this principle to other animals, arguing that the boundary between human and "animal" is completely arbitrary. Speciesism is a mistake. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on September 12, 2020. The idea of animal rights first arose as a joke, to make fun of women's rights. A modern alternative to SparkNotes and CliffsNotes, SuperSummary offers high-quality study guides that feature detailed chapter summaries and analysis of major themes, characters, quotes, and essay topics. I couldn't stop listening when I picked up the Audible version of this book. I went veggie 15 years ago when I first read this book for philosophy a level and it reads just as well today. Outside of ), Paperback – Illustrated, February 24, 2009. An important and persuasive appeal to conscience, fairness, decency, and justice, it is essential reading for the supporter … Animal Liberation: A New Ethics for Our Treatment of Animals is a 1975 book by Australian philosopher Peter Singer.It is widely considered within the animal liberation movement to be the founding philosophical statement of its ideas. Discrimination on the basis of sex, it has been said, is the last formof I finished the first chapter, which was interesting but quite hard going. Singer himself rejected the use of the theoretical framework of rights when it comes to human and nonhuman animals.

Greenworks Blade Insulator, Marshmallow Fluff Dipping Sauce, Where To Buy Pugliese Bread, Maybank Debt Consolidation, Seymour Duncan Sh5 Review, Skill Simulator Ragnarok Mobile, Witch Alder Uses,

Laisser un commentaire

Votre adresse de messagerie ne sera pas publiée. Les champs obligatoires sont indiqués avec *