Around these parts the Northern Spy is seen as the quintessential pie apple. Here in Western Michigan we have the biggest northern spy this year. Recommended as a source of sharp juice in cider. 1:52 PREVIEW Essex House. Who needs a Granny Smith, when you have an apple that embodies both the tartness and a great flavor when cooked. We have an apple my great grandfather planted in the late 1800's or very early 1900's. We never went to pick them until after the first frost as Mom insisted it improved the flavor. I had it taken to my place in the Foothills of Mt. My mom and I went to a pick-ur-own orchard. Closest description I can find. These a big lumpy funny-looking apples, but my goodness I think they are my favorite. Might have been an older apple. My grandparents grew Northern Spy apples on their farm in Coopers Plains, NY. The texture is just right. Rated by the 19th century pomologist Robert Hogg as " a valuable dessert apple ". Harvest begins in late September and into October. What varieties it developed from is unknown, but this is considered an heirloom apple. All three orchards proclaimed they had spys, but all were much softer and not nearly as tart as in the old days. Are Northern Spy apples good for storage? It is a typical winter apple variety, picked in late October or early November, and then used through the winter months. It is a typical winter apple variety, picked in late October or early November, and then used through the winter months. It really is more of a pie apple. Find more gardening information on Gardening Know How: Keep up to date with all that's happening in and around the garden. I bought an old farm in 1998 that was overgrown. Another reader mentioned … The apples are so delicious and make an excellant pie. Northern Spy is an older variety of apple, developed by a farmer in the early 1800s in Rochester, New York. "Jumbo" being BIG apples, our 48 or 56 count bushel case (depending on availability). Northern Spy apples flesh is yellow to white, rather firm, very tender, crisp, juicy, slightly sweet and mildly acidic. A friend shared a pie made with the "Northern Spy Apple," and it was great. n. A variety of late-ripening apple with yellowish-red skin. Northern Spy Apple 36-38lb Case of Jumbo size (very large) Northern Spy apples. Northern Spy apples are a very late season, large and stout apple with carmine red skin married with streaks of yellow and pale green. ss I have only had this apple once, some 20 years ago. Sign up for our newsletter. It keeps in a cold store well into spring. Northern Spy is a very old-fashioned American variety which retains its popularity. Water a new tree until it is established, but otherwise, only water if the tree is not getting at least an inch (2.5 cm.) Northern Spy is not an easy-to-find apple, but if you find them, buy them! (Shipping cases … Yes. Just started to prune this last winter, wish I started in second year. It imparts a bit of a tartness in its bite, but more of a cider-quality flavor with hints of pear and sweetness. Tart and perfect and my go-to apple for galette aux pommes. Parentage: Chance seedling : Size compared to seedling: 75% : Tolerances: Moderately resistant to phytophthora, heavy soils : Resistances: Woolly apple aphid resistant, resistant to peniophera : Susceptibilities: Fireblight : Precocity: Medium . The color of the skin is red and green streaked. The Northern Spy is one of two varieties I use for pies from mid-autumn on. Bake it with Spies and get ready for everyone to ask your secret. Rick Sutcliffe, (a.k.a. Wonderful! Fireblight  Does have a strong pyrimdal growth habit so strong pruning a must and I staked 3 branches to grow horizontal. Maybe a Johnny Appleseed Northern Spy? Where can we purchase these apples? It has taken many years for our new trees to come into production, and it was worth the wait. but keep the spy untill I could graft from it he said it was the best tree he had seen. Spies are the best combination of taste, versatility, and keeping that I've found- a perfect 'only one tree' variety as long as you have pollinators flowering at the same time, and within a 1/4 mile of you. Record your blossom dates in our Fruit Tree Register - more >>. An ever-popular cooking, fresh eating, drying, and juice apple, Northern Spy is a larger than average apple with a deep red skin and red striping. The apples this tree produces are very large and round. 12 Northern Spy apples in a foam gift box to make sure that you receive the best quality apples. (Romeo, MI is well known for its orchards). Opinions expressed here are entirely the author’s own, and no endorsement is implied by any community or organization to which he may be attached. A few years ago we found an orchard just north of Toronto, Ontario that had some as a "pick your own". Northern Spy: Description : Synonym: Spy . A great baking apple! More tart and firm than most popular varieties, so most people don’t like to eat them out of hand. The Northern Spy Apple Tree produces large, round, often flattened greenish yellow fruit with pinkish red stripes, a light bloom, and occasional russet Rated by the 19th century pomologist Robert Hogg as "a valuable dessert apple". The Northern Spy is as versatile as apples come. Some a lot more than others. 6. Antonyms for Northern Spy (apple). Submitted by Beth Parkhurst on September 5, 2020 - 11:23am. One tree that had fallen over but not dead had fruit the next year. Growing Northern Spy apples is a great choice for anyone who wants a classic variety that is winter hardy and provides fruit for the entire cold season. The Northern Spy was developed around present-day Bloomfield, NY, quite accidentally, by early settlers, the Chapin brothers. Has there been a change in what people call spys? They seem to prefer colder climates, and are not generally ready to pick until mid-October. Hi Nancy.....from Nancy!!!! Synonyms for Northern Spy (apple) in Free Thesaurus. about 100' from it don't know if its compatable. Small, distinct whitish lenticels are scattered sparsely over the surface. It is not very large, has very deep, bright red color with tiny white spots on, white meat very juicy and flavourful. Cant rate the taste because my spy was bought 4 yrs ago as a 5 ft bare root whip from fedco. That explanation makes most sense to me, since it was (& is) mostly used for pies......it used to be a dessert apple,too,But not until it "mellows" after long storage. If you like a well-rounded apple that you can juice, eat fresh, or put into the perfect apple pie consider putting a Northern Spy tree in your yard. I don't clearly recall the flavor, although I recall that I enjoyed the apple. Northern Spy Apple Northern Spy has thin skin and very crisp delicious flesh with a sweet/tart flavor prized for cooking and fresh eating. Before they became so hard to find, there was a time when they were also used as part of the variety blend to make cider. Its strong, sweet flavor and crisp texture make it an overall favorite. I do recall that the flesh of this apple is naturally pale yellow in color, not white. Northern Spy Apple Tree Overview. Northern Spy is my favorite apple, but I've not found them in NM. Northern Spy apples are a late season, large apple with carmine red skin with streaks of yellow and pale green. Northern Spy is well known for its winter-hardiness. You can enjoy them fresh, right off the tree. HELP??? It is a naturally vigorous variety which will produce a relatively large tree, however whilst it grows strongly it can take longer than most apple varieties to come into bearing, and it also has a tendency to lapse into biennial bearing. Apples kept until March in dry, cool place. To get fruit from your Northern Spy apple tree, you need another tree nearby for cross-pollination. In the woods (2' spruce and popple) there were apple trees. Rainier in the state of Washington where it is still flourishing. As mentioned, these are simply the best pie apples, producing absolutely perfect texture (soft yet toothsome) and good rich flavour (a hearty aroma, vanilla notes, perfect sweetness). I live in Massachusetts and love to use the heirloom Massachusetts native Baldwin apple for pies. Discovered: 1800 Salisbury, Connecticut . I also love to use Northern Spies (Spies for Pies) and, best of all, Rhode Island Greenings for pies. Search Northern Spy for the full history of their serendipitous route to this (plus two other recognized varieties), from the same planting & re-locating of young apple trees. of rainfall per week. Northern Spy apple another New York favorite. Also love the This apple had the pequliar flavor of bubble-gum and minty leather. The following tree nurseries offer Northern Spy apple trees for sale: ©2019 Orange Pippin Ltd. All rights reserved. –The Northern Spy. We just moved back to the Endless Mountains countryside and found a very mature apple tree in front of our house. n. A variety of late-ripening apple with yellowish-red skin. Using Dr.Robert M. Crassweller's system, we sprouted seeds and planted indoors and have 13 healthy plants now, each about 8 inches tall. Have a 57 year old Northern Dwarf Spy Tree. The harvest time for this apple is around the end of September to the beginning of October. Was disappointed with this apple. Northern Spy (apple) synonyms, Northern Spy (apple) pronunciation, Northern Spy (apple) translation, English dictionary definition of Northern Spy (apple). The Northern Spy apple originated on the farm of Herman Chapin, East Bloomfield, NY, near Rochester, from a seed planted about 1800. I would like to know variety. With the setback and the slow-bearing habit of … You may not reproduce any of the content of this website without our express permission. This Northern Spy apple pie recipe is made with a single variety in an easy filling made from scratch. Growing Northern Spy apples has been popular for over a century, thanks to the great flavor and diversity. It has produced every year. It is one of the parents of the popular MM106 apple rootstock - more info here - and was chosen specifically because of its resistance to woolly aphid. Northern Spy is a “firm-tart” apple which is excellent for rich baked desserts such as pies. Its one drawback is being slow to come into bearing, although for us it’s been worth the wait. Self-sterile is a term that is applied to a plant that is incapable of reproducing with its own pollen. May have come from Johnnie Appleseed in a covered wagon. Family members have been enjoying my deep dish apple pies from it years, & a neighbor made apple butter. 2 words related to Northern Spy: dessert apple, eating apple. Recipe by Leite's Culinaria. Question: Do we prune the top off this plant and move to gallon containers outside now that frost is past? I would like to know where I can purchase some to share with my family. The stem is short and … A brother-in-law, Roswell Humphrey, on an adjoining farm, took up root sprouts and fruited it. Spys for pies! Fruit is large, bright red, and exceptionally juicy, with a crisp tender texture. Description ; Additional information ; Reviews (0) More Offers ; Description. Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips! Voted "Best Apple for pie" (our customers) With the right conditions and watching out for and managing any pests or diseases, you should get a good harvest about four years in, as long as you have at least one other apple tree in the area. Northern Spy growing requirements are similar to those of other apple trees. In fact, it is so popular and well regarded that it was one of four apples the United States Postal Service selected to honor on 33¢ Apple Postcard stamps, which commemorated historic apple varieties.A description of the apple on the USPS website quotes “Spies are for pies” rhyme, … A seedling apple tree takes about 7 to 10 years to bloom. It bears a crisp, juicy fruit hidden by a thin skin in shades of pale red and green and … Add to cart. Growing Ginger Plants: How To Plant And Care For Ginger, Cold Hardy Apples: Choosing Apple Trees That Grow In Zone 3, Caring For Wild Ginger: How To Grow Wild Ginger Plants, Hard-To-Shop-For Gardeners: Ideas For Unconventional Garden Gifts, Holiday Garden Giving: Ways To Help Others This Season, Gifting Seeds – Ways To Give Seeds As Presents, Tomato Vivipary: Learn About Seeds Germinating In A Tomato, Brown Flesh Tomato Info: How To Grow Brown Flesh Tomatoes, Keeping Potted Pansy Plants: Caring For Container Grown Pansies, Cold Sweetening Root Crops: Common Vegetables That Get Sweet In Winter, The Act Of Giving – Crafty Ways To Give Back, Grateful To Give Back: Sharing The Garden With Others In Need, We’re All In This Together - Passing On Gratitude In The Garden, Recipes From The Garden: Pressure Cooking Root Vegetables. We do not accept any liability for loss or damage incurred as a result of any errors in the content of this website. We had them back east (NY and New England) where I grew up, and in Western MI, where every fruit grows (!). I absolutely LOVE making pies with Northern Spy apples - yum! Low in calories and high in fiber, apples are the perfect snack or works wonders for dressing up a cooked dish. I just picked 2 bushell of 3 to 4 inch apples from a 12' tree 5 years after grafting. Great eating apples, too--excellent crunch, acid and sweet in what feels like a 50/50 balance. Its tender-crisp flesh is creamy yellow and juicy. I know spy apples, and these are not them.....despite what the orchardist says. About the 5th year growing at same elevation of mother tree, we had the first fruits!. I had a 50+ year old 3rd generation orchard owner come to tell me what to do from there. What are synonyms for Northern Spy (apple)? Great for pies and in our lunches. To get Spies these days you usually have to head to a good Farmer's market or an orchard. The Northern Spy Apple Tree produces large, round, often flattened greenish yellow fruit with pinkish red stripes, a light bloom, and occasional russet patches. Large and attractive tree for landscaping. I've read different things about the odd name of this apple. Great for pies and cider! Upic your UPS Shipping options at checkout. Nowadays they are almost impossible to find. I grew up enjoying my grandmother's "deep-dish apple pie" (a pie baked in a shallow rectangular Pyrex pan with only a top crust) made from those apples. they had scab to deep to spray out. Northern Spy apples are very juicy, crispy crunchy, tart and mildly sweet, with a rich flavor and thin, tender green and red skin. We have picked a few early, and already they are delicious! 50-60" annual precip- evenly spread- with 160-220" of snowfall. Our Tree Man injects it to keep it very healthy. We found an ancient apple tree in a mountain gully, bearing golden/green with slight blush or brown streak from the stem over the shoulder of apple. These have superior flavor and are reliably heavy producers. The color of the skin is red and green streaked. The fruit is fine grained, rather firm, very tender, crisp, juicy yellowish flesh and has a tart, aromatic, subacid flavor. 5:55 PREVIEW Roxy. 4:42 PREVIEW An Otis Theme on Curtis Changes. I was given a huge tree that was to be moved and hauled away from a bad location. Synonyms: Green Peak Spy, Northern Pie Apple, Spy, Red Spy, Red Northern Spy, King, King’s Apple. we cut about 3 achers of the woods carefully marking the apple trees in rows. SKU N/A Categories Apples, Fruits, Gluten Free, Healthy Snacks, Local Foods Tags apples, canadian. It imparts a bit of a tartness in its bite, but more of a cider-quality flavour with hints of pear and sweetness. Around here (Ontario) people who're familiar with it(mostly older people) usually just call it "Spy". Tree blooms late to avoid late spring frost zaps. Any advice for culture of these young plants will be greatly appreciated! It is winter hardy. Tell us what you think! Our Spys are simply Gi-normous this year. One bite and I was hooked. Medium-to-large moderately vigorous long-lived tree. Identification: A large apple and round, somewhat conic with distinct ribbing. It is hardier in the winter than many other apple varieties, and it produces fruit well into November, giving you a supply that will store well all season. Why "Northern Spy" Needs a Pollinator. The soil here is poor, having too much clay & I've been told the mildew & leaf curl on the branch ends is due to a root disease that cannot be treated “naturally.” Other than pruning, I have done nothing for the tree and would like to know more about keeping it healthy in Seattle moderate climate. I have this fall, tried three different orchards in our mid Michigan area in my quest for tart, crisp, and long keeper SPY apples. User Group. Many people still prefer & ask for this apple at market. for apple sauce. Around here, we call 'em Northern Spies or just Spies, not Northern's Pie. Origin: The fruiting variety 'Northern Spy' East Bloomfield New York, USA, 1928 . This probably means nobody knows for sure. So what are Northern Spy apples? In a recent conversation with friends about apples, the question arose as to why "Northern Spy" was so-named? 14 years until first bloom on our full size specimen. I would recomend it to people who like bubble-gum and or minty leather. One of the best apples ever to grace a pie, yet delightful when eaten fresh. Up the slope in the back, I found these absolutely HUGE apples that I could only hold with both hands. 3. Even here in apple country. Prune your apple tree each year to size and shape and also to encourage good growth and apple production. Perfect for use in classic apple preparations such as … This is a tree that does well further north. Northern Spy was believed to have been discovered sometime between 1800-1849 in Rochester, New York. All about apples, pears, plums, and cherries - and orchards where they are grown. 1. Northern Spy apple from Food Network. It is among the best keepers. Varieties that will pollinate Northern Spy include Gold Delicious, Red Delicious, Ginger Gold and Starkrimson. Is there a difference in apples from old trees and younger ones, perhaps grafted ones? There are some great reasons to grow Northern Spy in your garden, including the tasty, versatile fruit. Apple Northern Spy quantity. Support: Not required . Upper-level memberships are donation levels that help … There are reports that Northern Spy has one of the largest antioxidants levels of any apple. Northern Spy synonyms, Northern Spy pronunciation, Northern Spy translation, English dictionary definition of Northern Spy. Needs heavy pruning to develop a strong and spreading structure- wants to grow pyramidally, with many small branches. A must-have for northern gardens. After everything I had read, I anticipated a much better experience than what I got. If not, you can graft on a couple of branches. clean larg apples from a tree laying on the ground. Northern Spy can also be used as a rootstock for other varieties. They keep well, and if you can keep the family from eating them out of hand, they make the best apple pies, bar none! The flesh is creamy white, crisp, and sweet. It needs full sun; well-drained, fertile soil; and plenty of room to grow. - Some susceptibility, Woolly aphid  Good central leader persistence and sound branching. Choose the amount to pay for your annual membership to the Apple Pugetsound Program Library Exchange (A.P.P.L.E.) History. - Very resistant. Harvest: Midseason . Mushy texture, slight tang but overall rather bland. Harvest your Northern Spy apples beginning in October (typically) and store the apples in a cool, dry place. The apples this tree produces are very large and round. Email us with any special shipping requests. Also preferred as a dessert apple after they have had time in storage to mellow out. Prepare the soil in advance of planting with compost and other organic materials. Newly planted trees are notoriously slow to bear fruit, which is why you seldom see it planted commercially anymore. I fell in love with this apple when I was 4 yrs old. Northern Spy is a traditional American winter apple, particularly well-suited to colder climate zones. Surprising to see such good bearing on an old tree. It seems much like the Northern Spy trees I found in upstate New York. They represent a new generation of healthy apples that are perfect for the home gardener. Northern Spy is an older variety of apple, developed by a farmer in the early 1800s in Rochester, New York. Notes: A hardy … For those unfamiliar with it, the Northern Spy apple is a relatively sweet thing with some tartness. This tree ripens in early October, and is located next to an ancient mining road. Due to the lateness of leaf out, this is an excellent variety for understory cropping, lawn, or pasture- we grow strawberries, peas, or early potatoes under it. Greenish-yellow skin is flushed and striped scarlet red. Northern Spy makes the best pie. Here's how to make it. The original Northern Spy waskilled by mice or rabbits before it bloomed. The Northern Spy Apple is a variety of apple native to the northern East Coast of the United States and parts of Michigan and Ontario and is very popular in upstate New York. Buried the cores and pealings and VOILA 2 years later were the baby trees! We are grateful to Brogdale Farm - home of the UK National Fruit Collection - for providing samples of this variety. We also include any special personal message you would like with your apples. You pick your UPS shipping options during checkout with any special shipping request. As my mother used to say if you wa t to make a good pie use a northern spy. It keeps in a cold store well into spring. Central PA -- small crop due to the late spring, but the resulting fruit is excellent. Dan from Ontario is spot on with his description about apple pie. I believe the tree in my backyard is a Northern Spy! He told me to cut all the macs. I've read that it's possibly "Northern's Pie Apple". Northern Spy is well known for its winter-hardiness. The Northern Spy apple tree is a very popular apple variety in upstate New York. But you can also cook with Northern Spy apples, turn them into juice, or even dry them. Apple Pie Recipes Apple Pies Apple Desserts Fall Recipes The Pioneer Woman Apple Filling No Bake Pies Dessert Recipes Desert Recipes. American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Extremely late leaf out, while holding leaves well into December, which can be a problem when early (wet) snow bends the branches. The first seed of Northern Spy came from … Its reputation as a pie apple is well deserved: makes a very good single-variety pie! ESSEX COUNTY, MASSACHUSETTS, United States, Hidden Hollow Orchard and Wildlife Sanctuary, Knaebe's "Mmmunchy Krunchy" Apple Farm Cider Mill, Porter's Orchard Farm Market & Cider Mill, Ontario Orchards Farm, Market & Cider Mill. I will take a Northern Spy any day. The apples are quite large and have a handsome red-flush over a yellow-green background. I do have a cox pippin and ashmead kernel. Northern Spy is a very old-fashioned American variety which retains its popularity. Spies for pies! The calyx is small and closed, set in a deep and narrow basin. - Very susceptible, Cedar apple rust  4. 2015 Preview SONG TIME Theme for a Blind Man. What varieties it developed from is unknown, but this is considered an heirloom apple. Yum! Excellent all purpose apple except for drying and cider. It is also stores very well, so you can stock up and makes pies to keep you warm all winter long. I have tried our local grocers, and some high end ones, and still no northern spys. Have you tasted this variety? We used to get them for over winter as they store so well. These apples are resistant to a wide range of diseases including apple scab and mildew. 2. I am going back there this summer and try to get a cutting from it. We have had to suport the lower limbs. The Northern Spy apples are large, vigorous tree with attractive, thin-skinned fruit. I loved these apples as a kid. The texture is perfect for pie; it holds up to baking and produces a pie filling that is soft, but not too soft. I have 5 more trees growing on wild root stock from that tree but it is still producing 4-5 bushel laying down. We also include any special message you would like with your Northern Spy apples. Skin base colour is green over which are flushes and stripes of red. We pruned the others back about 1/3 and got some apples from almost all of them.

Why Does The Viceroy Butterfly Mimic The Monarch, Laplace Transform Calculator Show Steps, The Best Hospital, Cookie Truffles Without Cream Cheese, Designer Stencils For Shoes, Construction Infrastructure Civil Work Tenders, Neurolinguistics And Psycholinguistics,

Laisser un commentaire

Votre adresse de messagerie ne sera pas publiée. Les champs obligatoires sont indiqués avec *