Ancient Egyptians revered the Nile as their source of life, but it was inevitably shrouded in mystery. It once was a common part of the river's native vegetation, and while it still grows naturally in Egypt, it's reportedly less common in the wild today. In one popular myth, the god Osiris is betrayed by his jealous brother Set, who tricks him into lying down in a sarcophagus, pretending it's a gift. 8. Interesting facts about Nile River – The Nile River is the longest river in the world. One of the unique features about the Nile River is the fact that it flows north, which is opposite the direction most rivers go. Since the Aswan High Dam was built in 1973, the Nile has become something of a grand canal. It covers a distance of 6695 kilometers (4160 Miles). Gene from bobs burgers on February 06, 2019: hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii on January 16, 2019: this was sooooooooooooo helpful for my school project! Interesting Facts about the Nile river: The Nile River is the longest river in the world. An abundance of birds live along the river, too, and its waters are also a vital resource for many migrating flocks. The dam has also led to a gradual decline in the fertility and productivity of riverside farmland, Britannica adds, noting that "Egypt's annual application of about 1 million tons of artificial fertilizers is an inadequate substitute for the 40 million tons of silt formerly deposited annually by the Nile flood." Nile crocodiles are the largest freshwater predators in Africa. In the ancient Egyptian religion, Hapi was the god of the flooding of the Nile, which took place each year. River Nile was the major source of ancient people for transportation, water and food. The Atbara joins in later with 10% of the Nile's total flow, almost all of which arrives between July and October. i think this is a great page how do i subcribe i am a kid so i dont know how 2. Despite maintaining its path for millions of years, and despite all it has already seen from our species in the last few millennia, it now faces unprecedented pressure from human activities all along its route. Although it is generally associated with Egypt, only 22% of the Nile’s course runs through that country. This river has been important to Africa for thousands of years and continues to be so today. The Nile River runs for approximately 6650 kilometres (4132 miles) and is located in Africa but also flows through parts of Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda, Congo (Kinshasa) and Kenya. While all rivers are important for people and wildlife who live nearby, the Nile looms especially large, both literally and figuratively. Since completing university, Paul has worked as a bookseller, librarian, and freelance writer. I liked that it told who the god of the Nile is. The dam will create a reservoir more than double the size of Lake Mead — the largest reservoir in the U.S., held behind the Hoover Dam — and will eventually hold 74 billion cubic feet of water from the Blue Nile, according to Yale Environment 360. Here are some interesting facts about the Nile River. Today, the Aswan Dam keeps the Nile from flooding modern cities. In the other hand, The Blue Nile is considered as the source of water and silt of Nile River. It measures 4132 miles (6650 km) in total. The White Nile begins even before Lake Victoria, although not everyone agrees where. i need to do an essay about the Nile and found no good info here. It would be for centuries, too, as expeditions repeatedly failed to find its source, with Egyptians, Greeks and Romans often foiled by a region called the Sudd (in what's now South Sudan), where the Nile forms a vast swamp. Located on the Blue Nile, the $5 billion Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) has been under construction since 2011, and is expected to generate 6.45 gigawatts once it's fully operational in 2022. Want to know the answer? It was thought to embody the god Hapi, who blessed the land with life, as well as Ma'at, who represented the concepts of truth, harmony and balance, according to the AHE. It reaches mixed woodland and savanna farther north, with sparser trees and more grasses and shrubs. At one time, these aggressive reptiles could be found all the way up to the Nile Delta, but their habitat has shrunk over the years. It is the longest river in the world. Now how did he know that? Known as the "Great Bend," this is one of several features caused by a huge underground rock formation called the Nubian Swell. This means the Nile River originates in South Africa and then flows towards the Mediterranean Sea. The Nile has three main tributaries: the White Nile, Blue Nile and Atbara. 1. The White Nile is the longest, starting with streams that flow into Lake Victoria, the world's largest tropical lake. The Nile is widely considered Earth's longest river, but that title isn't as simple as it sounds.

Hdpe Price List, Whirlpool 1-hour Wash Cycle Vs Normal, Fruit Bowl Fruit Peelers, Hidden Valley Greek Yogurt Dressing Review, Hellmann's Olive Oil Mayo Calories, American Made Audio Speakers, I7 10th Gen 10750h Benchmark, Pantothenic Acid Allergic Reaction,

Laisser un commentaire

Votre adresse de messagerie ne sera pas publiée. Les champs obligatoires sont indiqués avec *