Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. When cake is baking, … In a small sauce pan or pot, combine the sugar, water and cinnamon stick. Now add in the semolina, baking powder and milk. Lisa, this recipe in particular is best with ghee or butter (ghee is a healthier option), place in oven using broiler setting very very briefly. You can make this a couple nights in advance, if you like. The date was July 18, 2014 when aunt Maha graciously e-mailed me her recipe for basbousa (semolina cake drenched in syrup). … Thank you for sharing your recipe. Hence it is somehow thicker than the usual basbousa. Remove cake from oven and pour syrup over cake until no more can be absorbed. How far in advance can it be made? Be sure to check your email and confirm your subscription. If yes, would it be the same quantity as the butter mentioned in the recipe or different? Welcome to The Mediterranean Dish, your #1 resource for Mediterranean recipes & lifestyle. Turn heat to low and let cook for a few minutes until the syrup thickens. Wonderful, Niki! And as a thank you, I will give you a FREE copy of my e-Cookbook to get started! Basbousa is an Egyptian semolina cake drenched in syrup. ★☆ Preheat oven to 200C. This turned out to be delicious. See more ideas about Basbousa recipe, Semolina cake, Cake recipes. This recipe does not use condensed milk. This pastry is called basbousa, but it is also called harissa, aricha, harissa hloua, revani, rabani, kalb el louz, chapka, chamia, safra, pastūsha, namoura, alnmorh, or shamali. Melt the milk and butter together. Glad the kids enjoyed it too! Serve immediately with a dollop of whipped cream. All semolina treats I have tried are pretty good, but my aunt Maha's basbousa is my absolute favorite! The syrup is not too sugary, but sweet enough to satisfy a sweet tooth. Hi there. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. I am not always able to answer on the spot, so I apologize for that. Sounds good - thanks for your quick reply! Now a lot of the recipes … 2½ cups coarse semolina. I just have some let over condensed milk and want to use it if possible. Turn heat to low and let cook for a few minutes until the syrup thickens. Get helpful baking tips and recipes for cookies, cakes, breads, and more treats, delivered right to your inbox. Thanks for subscribing! Thank you for sharing this promising recipe. That will work, Padma! 220 g (1 cup) caster sugar. I'm so close to baking this tonight! yes, it's kinda drenched in syrup, but as you mentioned, that is easy to adapt. Remove from heat and set aside. My guess is that it will not have the same texture and may be a bit more dense. Add eggs and vanilla. Transfer the semolina mixture into a lightly greased 9"-round cake pan or baking dish. Add semolina, ground almond and water and stir until well combined. Please join me and our growing community! Ingredients. I do not use eggs in this Basbousa recipe. If necessary, broil ever so briefly so that the top of the basbousa gains color. There are, quite frankly, too many semolina cake variations out there. 75 g (½ cup) self-raising flour. Basbousa/basboosa is a term in the Middle east that refers to a very sweet semolina - sort of- cake. Some syrups are flavored with citrus like orange or tangerine peels, and others use spices like cinnamon or cloves. In a large bowl beat egg with sugar until light and pale. As far as oil vs. butter, no, that will not produce the same result. It’s one of those desserts that every Arab household has a version of, and here I’ll be sharing my Teta’s recipe. Please review Nutrition Disclosure. Basbousa Cake Recipe Review | Without Semolina Flour. ¼ cup sweetened shredded coconut or coconut chips. When ready, remove from oven. Yes, you can use just the fine semolina. https://www.thespruceeats.com/basbousa-semolina-cakes-with-syrup-2355427 Today, I'm sharing my aunt Maha's special recipe! Place an almond in the center of each diamond. Definitely the time when our minds are busy with egg-cellent recipes and ham or lamb dinners, am I right? They are just enough to add that extra "umpf" to a meal. Sooooooo stinkin good! Truth be told, it is so darn hard to wait a whole hour to eat it . Set aside. Lightly grease and flour a 9x12 baking dish. It's Easter weekend. Is this the recipe of authentic Egyptian basbousa? (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Thank you Dissolve sugar in water in a medium saucepan. 200 g thick yoghurt. In a separate bowl, combine semolina, baking powder, and baking soda. I tried with millets before but it didn’t really turn out like basbousa. Easy Basbousa Cake Recipe (Semolina Cake) - The Gingered Whisk ★☆ While the basboosa is baking, … This shouldn't take long at all. When ready to server, top the cake with the coconut chips and the coconut and shaved almonds. This basbousa recipe is the easiest, most delicious classic Arabic semolina cake recipe. 20/09/2018 by Najma Leave a Comment. And, it’s permeated the entire Arabic world and become quite popular as a sweet coffee cake and something special to serve during Ramadan. Hi, do you think it would be ok to use non dairy yogurt and oil instead of what’s written? While the basbousa is baking, prepare the cinnamon simple syrup. I hope you enjoyed it! Coconut is one of the essential ingredients in this dessert, but you can skip the coconut and make a Basbousa Dessert recipe … I don't know why it took me this long to share this basbousa recipe on the blog. Is this receive without eggs or is it missed from the instructions?. I just reduced the syrup quantity into half as it would have been too sweet for us. Remember to pin this recipe and share it with loved ones. hi!! A uniquely delicious basbousa cake with notes of toffee and caramel that come from toasted milk powder; a genius ingredient that elevates the taste of anything it touches. But this recipe is sure different, as it is a stuffed cake so it has layers. I was born and raised in the cosmopolitan Mediterranean city of Port Said, Egypt, a "boat ride" away from places like Italy, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Palestine and Israel. May 29, 2019 - Explore Bulan Wilson's board "Basbousa recipe", followed by 589 people on Pinterest. I suck at cooking, that could be one reason . Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe The cake soaks up the syrup and makes it very moist. While the cake is baking, prepare the cinnamon simple syrup. Plus…recipe … You can also use orange blossom. If necessary, broil ever so briefly so that the top of the basbousa gains color. Once the syrup begins to boil, add in honey. Same amount will work. Let cool completely, then remove the cinnamon stick. Though she always serves this cake when I visit her in Toronto, she has kept this family recipe … Preheat oven to 3750F (1900C); brush the tahini on the inside of a 10-inch (25 cm) round baking pan. I’m sure I’ve done something wrong. Basbousa Recipe Ingredients. An Elite CafeMedia Food Publisher.Privacy policy. Then add in the milk, baking powder, orange blossoms water, yogurt and mix well to … 1 tsp baking powder. Thanks! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I'm Suzy. When ready to serve, top the cake with the coconut chips and the coconut and shaved almonds. I broiled the top a bit then added the almonds and coconut and toasted a bit more. 1 cup coconut. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until light brown. In a small sauce pan or pot, combine the sugar, water and cinnamon stick. 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 lemon or 2 tablespoons orange juice). Thanks. Excellent!  Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-12-inch baking dish.Â. Hi., ★☆. 1/2 cup butter melted (aka 1 stick) 1 ⁄3 cup sugar. Please check your email to confirm your subscription! ★☆ Greek-Style Baked Cod Recipe with Lemon and Garlic, Easy Authentic Falafel Recipe: Step-by-Step, Simple Baked Cilantro Lime Chicken with a Mediterranean Twist, Easy Hummus Recipe (Authentic and Homemade). Hi! 168 Comments. Cream together butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. ), How to Make Whipped Cream From Scratch (With Flavor Variations), Turkish-Style Revani Semolina Cake Steeped in Syrup, Greek Honey Cookies With Walnuts (Melomakarona), Greek Semolina Cake With Orange Syrup (Revani), Kataïfi: Almond and Walnut Pastry in Syrup. So, how about a little basbousa? What have you decided on for your Easter dinner? What is the Mediterranean Diet and How to Follow It, Mediterranean Diet Food List: 5 Foods You Need, Favorite Mediterranean Diet Cookbooks (part 1), Basbousa: Almond Coconut Semolina Cake Recipe, Easy No Bake Dessert Bars with Dates, Honey and Nuts ». Basbousa is a native Egyptian and traditional Middle Eastern sweet cake. Exactly how many grams of semolina is required for this recipe? I hope you try it soon! Switch the oven setting to broil, and … Basbousa is an Egyptian semolina cake drenched in syrup. I so love having you here! In a bowl, mix the fine semolina, sugar and grated coconut. This allows the syrup to settle in...much better flavor and texture. There are two theories behind my reluctance: my selfish desire to keep the recipe all to myself; or, that I am, subconsciously of course, extremely fearful that aunt Maha would not approve of me circulating her recipe. Pour mixture into a baking tray, … Get started today on the world's healthiest Diet!! This post may include affiliate links. Place the butter in a small bowl and melt in the microwave. Semolina treats are popular throughout the Middle East and parts of Europe. Hi! A restaurateur and food writer, Saad Fayed has published hundreds of recipes and articles about Middle Eastern cuisine. Egyptian Cakes. If you see the butter floating on top, just wait long enough for it to disappear into the flour, Your email address will not be published. 1 cup sugar. Can we use ghee instead of butter? Wonderful, Alison! https://www.food.com/recipe/basboosa-easy-semolina-cake-254309 Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. This cake … Enjoy. Another beauty of this cake is sugar syrup. Combine butter, sweetened condensed milk and baking powder and stir well. Yes, all the syrup is poured over the cake. The … Instead of adding cinnamon to the syrup, can I add rose essence? Allow to cool for 20 minutes. Then again, aunt Maha is one of the kindest most generous people I know. It is made from cooked … As soon as the basbousa is removed from the oven, pour the cool syrup on the hot basbousa. I cooked...became delicious..thanks for the recipe❤..love you. Keywords: Basbousa, Semolina Cake, Coconut Semolina, Almond Coconut Cake, Cake, Sweets, Tag @themediterraneandish on Instagram and hashtag it #themediterraneandish, Greek Yogurt Parfait with Kahlua and Nuts, Filed Under: Desserts Tagged With: cake, dessert, Sweets. The Namoura (نمورة) cake is so easy to make. Basbousa recipe ingredients are pretty standard. Pour mixture into baking dish and smooth with spoon. Can't wait to try it . yes,you can use ghee. In a separate bowl, combine semolina, baking powder, and baking soda. Bake in the 350 degrees F heated-oven for about 40-45 minutes. Your email address will not be published. 2. Plus…recipe … STEP 1. Hi, A delicious coconut, yogurt and semolina/farina cake that gets sprinkled with nuts and drizzled with syrup to put the final seal of perfection. When ready, remove from oven. For best result, let it sit for 1 hour before serving. Filled with a cream center and soaked with sweetened condensed milk…this basbousa is seriously next level. ★☆ There are many types of semolina cake, but there is something special about poppy seed cakes, basbousa. Is it okay to use all fine semolina flour rather than a combination of coarse + fine? Slice and enjoy. How to Make Basbousa - Semolina Cakes With Syrup. Grease an 9x9-inch (23cm) or a 9-10” (23-26cm) round cake pan with butter. Note: while there are multiple steps to this recipe, this semolina cake dish is broken down into workable categories to help you better plan for preparation and baking. Easily rivals the pastry shop’s. This recipe uses 2 cups, so the assumption is 334 grams is what you need. Authentic Egyptian basbousa recipe that is soft and stays soft. It would not be needed. It seems like a lot of syrup. And check your spam folder in case you cannot find our email! Can we use fresh grated coconut? Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture. And here I am, in just a few strokes of the keyboard, making it available to all! Wont it become more dry if let to soak in before baking. Some recipes call for eggs, others call for yogurt. Ask and you shall receive! Once the semolina cake is prepared, the sugar syrup is poured over the cake, making it more delicious. Slice and enjoy! In a large mixing bowl, combine together the sugar and yogurt. This version comes from my Aunt Maha, one of the kindest and most generous women I know. Transfer the semolina mixture into a lightly greased 9"-round cake pan or baking dish. Hi Issa, I don't have much experience with non dairy yogurt so I can't advice you on that for sure, but it seems it could work. Reduce heat and allow to slowly boil for about 8 to 10 minutes. Thanks for your question. … Read More about Suzy, Subscribe for FREE and we'll email you a weekly meal plan, new recipes, plus a FREE copy of my. Won’t the cake get soggy? 1 cup plain yogurt or Sour Cream. Basbousa is a popular Lebanese semolina and poppy seed cake with a zesty lemon drizzle. She would understand that this is for a greater good. Can I substitute the semolina with the same amount of polenta for a gluten-free option? Should it go in the fridge? I keep mine in the fridge, but it's best served at room temperature, so bring it out far in advance of serving. Thank you very much for the recipe. Personally, this is one of the very very few recipes I use butter. We love almonds in my family and I love the texture your cake seems to have! Watch carefully. You mentioned to mix all the ingredients and leave aside for little while for the flour to soak the butter.... How long is a good time to set aside for flour to soak in. Could I substitute olive oil for the butter without negatively affecting the flavor? Thank you for a beautiful recipe! Bring to a boil on high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. This one is super soft, dense, never ever cake-y, and melt-in-the-mouth delicious. What other flavors syrup would go best with the cake? Basbousa should not be thick, although it is a cake but it is usually in the range of 8mm-1 cm as you can see it in this basbousa recipe. By subscribing for FREE, you will receive a weekly meal plan, plus new recipes! In case you missed them, two of my favorite egg recipes are: shakshuka and this easy Mediterranean egg casserole. I love basbousa with coffee after a good meal. 90 g (1 cup) desiccated coconut. Today, influenced by my mother's tasty kitchen, and my extensive travels, I share easy wholesome recipes with big Mediterranean flavors. 1 teaspoon baking soda. Copyright © 2020 The Mediterranean Dish. 1 ⁄3 cup whole Roasted or … The search for the perfect, aunthenic Egyptian-style basbousa stops here! Method. Welcome to my table. As far as lamb goes, I admit, I can't quite decide on one; braised lamb chops, lamb rack, or leg of lamb? 1 cup fine semolina PLUS 1 cup coarse semolina (or 2 cups coarse semolina or 2 cups original Cream of Wheat enriched farina) ⅓ cup milk. ½ cup plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter. Ideally, Alfredo. Learn how your comment data is processed. What is basbousa? Easy Basbousa Recipe (Semolina Cake) | Chef Tariq | Food Blog Finally stir in the melted butter, and let the mixture sit briefly so that the butter is absorbed. Bake in the 350 degrees F-heated oven for about 40-45 minutes. Bring to a boil on high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Some use a honey-based syrup, others use a sugar-based syrup. I have tweaked things slightly,  but this remains aunt Maha's authentic Egyptian basbousa recipe. Basbousa is an Egyptian semolina cake drenched in syrup. But I'm wondering if condensed milk can be added at some point in this recipe. STEP 2. The kids and I took spoons to it and my daughter declared the recipe had to be wrong if you were supposed to wait an hour!!! Cheers! In a large bowl mix the sugar, semolina, and butter together. Would it be a bad idea? Bake basbousa at 200 degrees for 1st 10 minutes.. Then reduce the temperature to 180 degree and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top becomes golden brown.. Hello! https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/semolina-cake-recipe-basbousa Hello, we use cups as a measure here, but I've done a quick search for you and it sounds like 1 cup semolina = 167 grams. Sara, yes, this is my aunt's basbousa recipe and she is Egyptian Semolina is what is traditionally used for it's unique texture and how it absorbs the syrup. Let cool completely; syrup must be absorbed into the cake. Ingredients. This is my kind of fuss-free dessert that yields impressive results. The addition of coarse semolina provides more texture. Today, I'm sharing my aunt Maha's special recipe! I am baking this right now and freaked out as I was checking out other recipes which ask for eggs. Pour and level mixture into 28cm x 24cm baking tin. Just one question, do you pour ALL the syrup into the cake? Whatever its name, this delicious cake is famous around the world. Check your email to confirm your subscription! And because we were not going back for a while, I asked for the recipe so that I can make it for my family and friends in Iowa. 2 cups coarse semolina. Basbousa is originally an Egyptian cake. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Let cool completely, then remove the cinnamon stick. Watch carefully not to burn the top. But, you're welcome to give polenta a try. 200 g unsalted butter, melted. Would you know why? Take a butter knife and make diagonal lines from left to right and complete to make diamond shapes. Watch carefully. Ingredients. After 50mins, the top of the cake hasn’t turned the brown that you see in yours and everyone else who has tried the recipe. 1 tsp vanilla extract. 1 cup plain yogurt. After all, this is a family recipe that she has kept close for years. This is among her specialty dishes that I have counted on enjoying every time we visit her home in Toronto. It is perfect for us now. It has been a while since I shared a dessert recipe here on the blog, so much for challenging myself to more baking!

He Has Gone Or He Went, Is Foley Diegetic Sound, Mora Companion Heavy Duty Vs Companion, A Medical Abbreviation, The Control And Coordination Of An Organism's Life Processes Involves, Sun Joe Ion16lm Parts, Mr Green '' Slots, Greenworks Pro 60v Mower: 25 Inch, Cinnamon Toast Crunch Milk,

Laisser un commentaire

Votre adresse de messagerie ne sera pas publiée. Les champs obligatoires sont indiqués avec *